Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Salem News: NEA Refusal


Published in THE SALEM (MA) NEWS 07/12/2011.
The National Endowment For the Arts recently refused the city of Salem a $100,000
grant in order to redesign the Essex Street Mall. The downtown's main shopping area.
In a way I feel like a backstabber. After all, I too have artistic inclications, and I'm sure the NEA does support a lot of worthy endeavours, but still, some of the stuff I've heard they've support makes me cringe. I mean, an artist had to get funding to make a work smeared in FECES?
I never claim to be an art critic or judge of art. But thru my years of art school and personal experience, a lot of art seems to rely more on the shovel than the paintbrush..
But then again, why would I be "Qualified" to judge, since Cartoonists aren't considered "Real" artists...
Though I do admit there's a LOT of comics and cartooning that makes me cringe, as well...
But the biggest question I just realized..Does the NEA consider Architectural design art? Wht else would it even consider designing a MALL??

No comments: