Saturday, December 18, 2010

Creative Characters Card 2010



I recently did my SEVENTH annual holiday card illo for the Philly print company called CREATIVE CHARACTERS. These cards are usually a challenge for me, because how easy can it be to come up with concepts based on copy machines and printing presses?
This year, however, they had something slightly different in mind.They told me they were going to be introducing a number of new services, and in one of my rough sketches, I suggested a riff on THE TWELVE DAYS OF XMAS, using each new service like one of the verses..(12 response codes, 11 maketing designs, etc.) And I even drew in a Partridge in a pear tree complaining about what a travesty this whole thing is..Well, they decided to go with a different format, but they loved my partridge so much they asked me to draw it into the card!
This was also the first card I did for them that would have both an inner AND outer drawing, as opposed to just a cover drawing for the ones I did previously, so working from their outline, their latest face shots, back and forth e-mail scans, and right down to old-fashioned coloring BY HAND (Professional prismacolor markers) I came up with the two drawings up above. (They added the typography/lettering afterwards) I think it came out pretty good myself, the slick cardstock they used just accentuates the shiny glowing effcts I was trying to get with the markers!

No comments: